Sunday, May 21, 2017

before and after

Two weeks ago my brother suffered a traumatic brain injury and has been in critical condition in the ICU ever since. During these last two weeks my family has all gathered from the various cities we all live in to be with him, tell him how much we love him, and mostly, just wait. Wait and watch and hope for the tiny steps of what will be a very long, slow recovery.

Words fail to describe all of the emotions of the last two weeks - in fact, putting words to this electronic "paper" right now feels a little surreal. This is really happening. This has really happened.

What's even more surreal is that this feeling is familiar. The shock, the adrenaline, the grief, the get to the hospital right now. The before and after where one day your life is one way and the next, everything has changed.

And all this while we are in the midst of anticipating the end of Ethan's treatment, now just 7 days away.

Oh Jesus, be near. 

And so, faithful army, I'm asking for your prayers once again. For my brother Corey - for his healing and restoration. For our family - for strength and peace and patience as we navigate just one day at a time. You can follow my brother's Caring Bridge site for more updates and ways to pray here - (https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/coreynelson)

And pray for Pete, Ethan, Eloise & me as we also look with anticipation to this last week of treatment. It's here. The last week of treatment! Pray that we can really celebrate this huge milestone!

In closing - a hymn. This one's been playing on repeat in my head these last two weeks, and I'm so grateful for it.
Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;

There is no shadow of turning with Thee,
Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not,
As Thou hast been, Thou forever wilt be.

Great is Thy faithfulness!

Great is Thy faithfulness!

Morning by morning new mercies I see

All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,

Sun, moon, and stars in their courses above;
Join with all nature in manifold witness,
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy, and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,

Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside.



1 comment:

  1. I woke up in the middle of the night praying for you, and my thoughts and prayers are with you now. You said it so beautifully. "Jesus, be near." May you feel his dear presence to cheer and to guide.

    ReplyDelete