Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Breastfeeding woes

Okay so I'm not going to make blogging about breastfeeding a recurrent theme (at least I don't intend to) but today was full of breastfeeding challenges. Ethan has never really latched on the "right way" which has made it difficult to know if he is really eating enough and unfortunately today resulted in my first (and hopefully only) breast infection. My fever started at 99.5 and a few hours later was 102.6 - yowza. I had to start on antibiotics to get rid of the infection - what a day. It sure is difficult to care for a baby when you're not feeling so good yourself!

However, today Ethan sure made it worth it! He started to smile back when I smiled at him! What a precious blessing especially on a day when I am feeling so crummy!

So I'm going to brave contacting the lactation consultants again (my last session with them in the hospital was multiple hours and left Ethan and I both exhausted) to get some assistance and talk to my pediatrician about options going forward. Need to really pray about why I feel so devastated at the thought of not breastfeeding naturally. God is good and it will be okay no matter what the end result is of our breastfeeding adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Did you call them? I'd be interested to see if they had any new suggestions. Yes, God is in control and you are not a bad mom if you bottle feed!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is totally late, but I had problems with Myles in the beginning, too. He had the whole jaundice thing (did the lights and all) as well. It was probably just past the six week mark that he got the hang of things and everything 'smoothed out' in the breast feeding department.

    Not sure what you decided to do, but I'm sure you made a wise decision :)

    ReplyDelete