Friday, November 30, 2012

thankful.

Tomorrow we start a new adventure in a new house. Tonight is our last night in the first house we've owned as a married couple.

This evening when I put Ethan to bed I was telling him how tonight is our very last night sleeping in this house and that tomorrow we get to move to the new house. He was laying on his bed, head propped up on his pillow with Larry, 5 blankies, Doggie and his play phone and I had a flashback to all the times he and I have had in his room -- rocking and singing to him when he was a baby, reading books, talking about Jesus, learning about discipline and time outs and lots of laughter. And now here is  - a big 2 1/2 year old, telling me about all of the things we'll be moving to the new house (move bed, move blankies, move phone, move Ethan, move mommy (the list was very long)).

And of course I started to tear up - thinking about all of the wonderful times we've had in this house and how I'm sad that we're leaving this place that has been our home and is filled with so many memories.

At that moment Ethan started to sing "Yes, Jesus loves me! Yes Jesus loves me! Yes Jesus loves me! The Bible tells me so!" And God used my two year old to remind me about who He is and what our lives are about. He loves us. He goes before us. He's always with us. And He is working everything in our lives for our good and His glory. What an awesome reminder.

And so tonight, more than being sad, I'm just really thankful. Thankful for this house that has been our home for 3 1/2 years - the first house we've owned, where we took Ethan and Eloise home to, where Ethan learned to walk, where our bulldog Norman spent his last days, where we've had countless meals and study with our family and community group, where we started our journey as parents. God has grown us here. And he loves us, more than we can ever know.

Thank you Jesus.

1 comment: